State and Federal Courts
Chiles and Prochnow offers experience handling appeals across a wide spectrum of subject matters.
Kenneth Prochnow was first employed out of law school as a law clerk to a U.S. Circuit Judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. During his stint as a Wall Street lawyer, Mr. Prochnow briefed and argued criminal appeals in the New York (State) Court of Appeals. As a lawyer in Minnesota, he filed appeals before that state’s Supreme Court.
In California, firm counsel have briefed and argued cases before four different California state Courts of Appeal (the First, Third, Fourth and Sixth Districts), as well as conducted briefings before the California Supreme Court and the U. S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. In addition to handling appeals arising from trials conducted by firm lawyers for their clients, the firm represents parties who bring their cases to us for the first time on appeal.
A partial list of reported cases includes:
- Litke O’Farrell v. Tipton (2012) 204 Cal.App.4th 1178.
- Safai v. Safai (2008) 164 Cal.App.4th 233.
- Pacific Employers Insurance v. Domino’s Pizza (9th Cir. 1998) 144 F.3d 1270
- Yang Machine Tool Company v. Sea Land Services, Inc. (9th Cir. 1995) 38 F.3d 1350;1995 AMC 2153.
- INA v. GI Trucking (9th Cir. 1993) 1 F.3d 903, cert. den. 510 U.S. 1004, 114 S.Ct.690, 126 L.Ed.2d 658 (1994)
- Hess v. Transamerica Occidental Life Insurance Co. (1987) 190 Cal.App.3d 941